One might assume that bed bug infestations are easy to identify. You would know if bugs were crawling through your bed at night and biting you, right? Unfortunately, this is not always the case. Bed bugs are among the most elusive pests in South Pasadena and are becoming more and more of a problem for locals. If you are wondering, Are bed bugs fast? and Are bed bugs dangerous? And if you are thinking: What is the best method to get rid of bed bugs? here are some things to consider today.
How To Identify Bed Bugs
It is hard to imagine being bitten by bugs at night and not knowing about it. That said, bed bugs are among the most difficult pests to identify in our area. During the day, or while people are awake, bed bugs hide throughout homes in secluded areas. At night, these pests inject a numbing agent beneath human skin while feeding. To make things worse, not everyone reacts the same way to bed bug bites. Some people have no visible or physical symptoms. Keeping all of this in mind, here is how to identify bed bugs around your living areas.
- Bloodstains on bed coverings
- Reddish black fecal droppings on beds and around rooms bed bugs are hiding in
- Eggs and shed skins in or near cracks, crevices, and in other secluded areas around your home
- Live, reddish-brown, oval-shaped, apple seed-sized bed bugs
- A musty odor in the air
Are Bed Bugs Dangerous?
One question we are regularly asked is: Are bed bugs dangerous? The truth is, bed bugs are one of the least dangerous blood-feeding pests in our area. They do not spread diseases the way mosquitoes, ticks, and fleas do. What they do is reproduce and draw more and more blood from their victims. With severe infestations of bed bugs, it is not unheard of for people being bitten to experience anemia and insomnia. Insomnia tends to become worse after people find out bed bugs are biting them at night.
Are Bed Bugs Fast?
Do bed bugs jump? No. Do bed bugs fly? No. Are bed bugs fast? No. That said, bed bugs travel more than most other pests. How do they do this? By hitching rides on items people carry. These pests have no problem sneaking past the TSA at an airport. They regularly hide on used furniture and clothing, and they can be found transferring from item to item in many public spaces. If you are not careful, these pests will be carried into your home eventually.
Natural Pest Control For Bed Bugs
There are many natural ways to reduce your chances of a bed bug infestation. To break things down for you today, here are some simple prevention strategies to try.
- When spending time away from home, check rooms you plan on staying in for signs of bed bugs. Change rooms or buildings if you have any concerns.
- Before traveling home, store used clothing inside of an airtight bag. When you get home, wash them on high heat.
- Check furniture, used clothing, and other items for bed bugs and the signs they leave behind before purchasing them.
- Teach your children to check their backpacks for bed bugs before coming home from school.
- Tell your family and friends about bed bugs and how to identify an infestation inside their home.
How To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs
If bed bugs are inside your home causing trouble and you want them out fast, call the experts at Kat’s Pest Solutions. Our team of licensed professionals offers quality bed bug control solutions to quickly and effectively eliminate these pests. We will thoroughly inspect your South Pasadena home and walk you through our options for treatment.